The most popular facelift is the cervical-facial lifting
The classic aesthetic face lift or cervical-facial lifting aims to improve the appearance of the neck and the oval of the face.The naso-labial folds, due to excess skin but also sagging skin and fat tissues, are also reduced. The neck-chin angle is restored.
Turkey Wattle, a type of vertical strands stretched over both sides of the trachea due to the release of the platysma muscle (or SMAS), are also removed.
Guidelines for the face lift
The skin of the face and neck is tightened from incisions located around the ears and scalp.
The face lift is performed under general anesthesia. The duration varies between 1 and a half and 3 hours.
The skin is peeled off a portion of the face, the underlying muscle layer (SMAS and platysma) is tightened, and then the skin is gently tightened.
Hospitalisation lasts 24 hours during which the patient wears a large bandage shaped like a helmet. Before the patient leaves the clinic, the dressing is removed and the scars are simply covered with ointment.
All other methods of facial cosmetic surgery may be associated with face and neck lift according to patient needs.
- Neck contouring : a liposuction of the neck and certain areas of the face is almost always associated.
- It is also common to perform eyelid surgery at the same time with or without a temporal lift.
- Re-injecting the previously removed fat from the face and neck or knees, helps restore volume to the cheeks, eyebrows, lips, chin and soften the nasolabial folds, hollow temples and cheeks.
- Certain facial muscles can also be remodeled. In particular, the DepressorAnguli Ori muscle (DAO) can be cut through two 1 cm incisions located in the mouth, which allows the downward pull of the corners of the mouth to be removed. This particularly sad aspect of the mouth (folds of bitterness) is rarely considered by surgeons.
- An upper lip lift also helps restore the mouth to its original expression.
- A slight raising of the cheekbones can be done by an upward pulling of threads from two small incisions in the scalp. This technique also allows you to fill the side portion of the hollows under the eyes.
- A centro-facelift can be proposed in addition to the cervical-facial lifting. This technique is performed either in the same operation, or more frequently as a first procedure. It also allows the cheekbones to be lifted, however the correction of under eye hollows is more thorough, the nasolabial fold is better corrected. Round eye can be corrected to display a more sensual almond shape.
Non-surgical techniques are also often considered in addition to a facelift:
- Botulinum toxin injections or hyaluronic acid injections can be performed during surgery if the injection site is different from the surgery site. Otherwise, the injections are given 15 days before or after surgery.
- Electro-rejuvenation (Timed) or dermabrasion are used to correct fine lines located at the upper lip.
- A glycolic chemical peel (light superficial peel) or TCA trichloroacetic acid (medium peel) can be performed on the day of surgery and improves the complexion and radiance of the skin, removes pigmented marks and blemishes, and reduces fine lines.
The general principle of the procedure is the same but the scar is shorter and skin peeling is done to a lesser degree. A mini face lift can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient. This procedure is well suited for patients with moderately sagging skin.
There is almost no pain and it is relieved by appropriate analgesics. A feeling of pressure is normal during the first couple of days.
The after effects are characterized by edema (swelling) of the face and ecchymosis (bruises) of varying importance depending on the patient and disappear during the first two weeks. It is necessary to wait 3 to 4 weeks for the results of the procedure to be unnoticeable.
Hardening and decreased sensitivity of the sites where the lifting was performed may persist for 1 to several months.
The lifting makes the patient appear on average 10 years younger. The result is natural. The appearance of the face is not frozen or surgical. The facial features give a rested and relaxed look.
The scars are hidden around the ears and scalp. After 3 to-6 months, they are imperceptible. The hairline is maintained.
Risk of complications
As with any surgery, a number of complications can occur. But the likelihood of these complications is reduced in the hands of a qualified plastic surgeon and in the presence of a competent anesthetist. The patient’s compliance to instructions given by the surgeon is also essential and include :
- stopping smoking 1 month before and after the procedure (reduction of all risks) ;
- not taking aspirin for 10 days before and after the procedure (reduced risk of hematoma).
Fortunately, postoperative effects are generally manageable following a cervico-facial lift that has been carried out properly, so serious complications are rare.
Rare complications that could occur include, but are not limited to risk of hematoma, infection and scarring.
In the event of a complication, appropriate measures will be taken.
In practice, the vast majority of cases take place without any problem and the patients are satisfied with the result.
Health insurance coverage
As this procedure is considered purely for aesthetic purposes, no coverage is provided by health insurance.